Tuesday 11 June 2019

Glenfiddich 12 #1


Glenfiddich 12 - 40%abv
Thats the end of my "half" bottle of Glenfiddich 12 so I thought id put my opinions here. Alot of peoples 1st whisky was Glenfiddich 12, Glenmorangie 10 etc....mine wasnt so I thought I should try these "starter" bottles to see what they are like.
A bit of background: This bottle is a mix of whisky matured in ex-bourbon and ex-oloroso sherry casks. Chill-filtered - yeh probably. Im of the understanding the colour is "tweeked" for parity, so to me that would mean a little E150 may have been added.

Colour
Id call it a nice bright straw.

Nose
Slight citrus, sweet, malty, green fruits and lots of honey - Not getting much from the sherry casks.

Palate
The honey is there, sweet, fruity. Citrus flavoured malt - they seem to come together. Slightly peppery, vanilla cream.

Finish
A bit of woodspice and vanilla cream. Very slight dried fruits and cinnamon. The sherry casks show them selves a touch there.

Overall
I have found Glenfiddich use some lightly sherried casks (very apparent in the Reserve Cask Bottling) which is quite nice, it makes for a fresh sherry flavour.
It is clearly a well made whisky and very well balanced - an easy drinker. I can see why for many, it was an easy place to start.
In an attempt to find those wonderful flavours from single casks etc I think its great that we are able to enjoy a nice simple whisky like this.
Can't fault it.

Score - My scoring system is...unique, if you work it out, well done. If not, dont worry, its not that important.
B out of 8
But to be honest this stuff is quite cheap, go buy a bottle and find out for yourself


:)














No comments:

Post a Comment