Sunday 4 August 2019

Macallan 12 Triple Cask #5



Macallan 12 Triple Cask - 40%abv
This is apparently a "marriage of casks".....I think that just means its three cask types, vatted. European sherry, American sherry and ex-bourbon casks. I am guessing this is chill-filtered but it has no colouring in it. Most of the 12 year old range are fairly easy to find for around £70. I am sure I don't need to go into much detail about Macallan, everyone knows it already.

Colour
Slightly dark straw

Nose
Light fruityness, chewits, cut grass, straw, toffee, caramel, vanilla and a bit of citrus.

Palate
Milk chocolate is the main thing I get here - chocolate digestives, that citrus is in there - lemon, quite a bit of oak, wood spices, grapefruit.

Finish
Medium-ish in length, Slightly bitter, burnt caramel and dark chocolate.

Overall
There is no question for me, this is a well made whisky, beautifully balanced and very easy to drink. Having had a bottle of the double cask, I moved onto this thinking id enjoy it more but I don't. I preferred the double cask. I think the one for me is the lesser spotted sherry wood. When I saw it recently at the distillery for £60 I got a bottle.
Yes I would like more abv and non chill filtering but in my opinion they are producing it for a market which doesn't mind these things.
The elephant in the room - The price of Macallan - I am in no way clever enough to explain why they are expensive, nor would I even try. But for me the 12 sherry oak I have just bought is possibly where the Macallan story will end for me as given the quality of other things for a similar price I just can't justify the price to explore their range. Which is disappointing, but it is what it is. If you can, then this is good whisky and you should try it. If you can't, there are lots of things out there just as good and a lot cheaper....up to you really.

Score
Pointless score time people:
B- out of 7.5


:)



No comments:

Post a Comment