Monday 24 February 2020

Glendronach 15 #14




Glenronach 15 Revival 46%abv (The new one)
We have all read what age of whisky may be in this bottle and seen the graph thingy. What we know for sure is, it is a least fifteen years old. It is un-chill filtered and a natural colour. It has been matured in px and oloroso casks.
There have been a few releases of this, this is the eagerly awaited most recent one. I have not tried the earlier ones so can not comment if this one is worse, better or the same.

Colour
Dark polished oak

Nose
Glazed cherry, chocolate orange, touch of menthol, barely sugar. You can smell the spirit but it's not rough - it's a nice sweet smell. Everything on the nose seems to have a sprinkling of icing sugar! Little bit of dusty leather going on to.

Palate
Ripe fruits, orange, strawberries, strawberry jam, cherry, lots of brown sugar, milk chocolate

Finish
Medium length. Brown sugar, slight chili chocolate turning to dark, turning to milk chocolate - lots of chocolate going on!

Overall
This is fairly easy to find now and for around the £65 mark it is worth that 100%. However I will not be replacing it with another age stated Glendronach for two reasons, 1st: I already have the port wood finish. 2nd and main reason: In my hunt for higher abv, I think my next step into Glendronach will be one of the cask strength batches.
Having just finished off a nineteen year old px single cask (which was brilliant!), I have tasted how powerful their whisky can be. This is definitely the toned down diluted version but I can taste the similarities.
One thing I would add here is, I don't think oxidisation has really had much effect on this bottle.

Score
A- out of 9.25
(Only marked down slightly, cause I always want more abv)

Conclusions
It's a good one! - If you want to experience everything Glendronach can offer, this is a great bottle. It shows you all of their aspects and combines them well. Pick which aspect you liked the most, go and find one of their bottles that concentrates on that - that seems to be how it is has gone for me anyway.



:)












No comments:

Post a Comment